Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Madrid to Toronto the journey home

Please be aware that I am writing this on my iPhone and any spelling errors are as a result of the the platform being used not necessarily of the operator.
Carleana had to wake me up today because I forgot to set my alarm.   We had stayed up looking at pictures and talking until 2 am.  I got ready and made sure to pack a few odds and ends.   We were both ready before 8 am.   We went down for breakfast.   After breakfast, we went back to the room to get our cases and do another sweep of the room.

We took our luggage downstairs and checked out.   We were early so that we waited in the lobby for our taxi.   Finally our taxi arrived.   Our driver was a real cutie as well as being very funny.  It was a good ride to the airport and we arrived about 25 later.

We had to walk quite a ways to the Air Canada counter.   We got in line and waited.   I went up to see if they were checking people in.  I noticed that there was an agent at one of the desks so I went over with my walking stuck and asked what my options were for taking it home.   He suggested that I get it wrapped and check it in.   So I got Carleana's walking stick and had them wrapped for the trip home.

We got checked in and made our way to the gate.  Armed with our boarding passes we went thought two security checkpoints and sat down for a drink to catch our breathe.   Then we took a little walk around, sat for a bit and made our way to the boarding gate.
As we stood in line I had a great conversation with a young lady who was traveling home to Langley BC.  She had spent the last 10 months in Spain on a Rotary exchange.   We talked about what it entailed and how she found the experience.  She was maybe 15 or 16 and she had spent almost a year on the other side of the world living with another family.

Someone behind me cleared their throat and I turned to find myself looking at Mr. Schwartz, the boys grade 7 teacher!   I must of looked like a guppy because I couldn't believe my eyes.   My brain was having trouble understanding what my eyes were seeing.   But sure enough it was who I thought it was.   We had a lovely chat about why each of was in Spain and then it was time to board.

We found our seats and got settled.   I spent the first part of the flight catching up on my journal.   The middle part watching movies: The Exotic Marigold Hotel, What to Expect When Your Expecting and The Hunger Games.   Then I finished my my journal.

All was going well until about a hour from Toronto.   Then we were diverted to Montreal because Pearson was closed because of very bad thunderstorms.   We were in Montreal for a little over an hour.   Then back in the air and 50 minutes or so later we landed in Toronto.   Once we were on the ground it took another 2 hours before a gate opened and we were able to deplane.

Getting through customs was relatively quick and so was getting to the baggage claims.   While waiting I saw Jason Schwartz again and we chatted while waiting for the luggage.   Just before our luggage arrived, I went over to a counter nearby and asked where I would find our walking sticks. She instructed me to go to section B.  I saw them right away: our walking sticks, safe and sound. Soon after our bags arrived and we left baggage claims and exited.  Once we were out, we unpacked our walking sticks and walked out.

We exited and I found Cameron.  I was really happy to see him.  I was even more glad to be off the plane and finally home.   It will be nice not to be living out of a suitcase.   We stopped for a bite to eat on the way home.   When we arrived home I was really happy to see Aaron and to be home.

I have had a wonderful experience that I am sure I will not fully appreciate for awhile.   All the experiences I've had over the last 18 days will need time to percolate.   It will take some time for me to process every experience that I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment