Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 2 Madrid

Please be aware that I am writing this on my iPhone and any spelling errors are as a result of the the platform being used not necessarily of the operator.

This morning we slept in until 9 am again, it was lovely.   We got ready and then went down for breakfast.   We stopped at the front desk and asked them to get us a taxi for tomorrow for the airport. Then we headed down to the computer to confirm our flight but it was too early.

On the way out we stopped at the front desk to confirm directions to the Palacio Real.  With oral directions and our map we were off.  We headed to plaza San Domingo and down calle San Domingo until we got to the Teatro Real.   We turned left and walked across plaza de Oriente with its lovely bronzes of one of the kings of Spain.   We walked along the side of the palace to the entrance which is between the cathedral de la Almundena and the Palacio Real.   We went in and paid 12€ for a self guided tour.

We walked along one side of Plaza de la Armeria and the first thing we was was the royal Farmacia. We walked in and it looked like the fairy godmother's potion shop in Shrek 2.  There was even one section with glass cases and drawers that looked like the room where Shrek got the love potion! There were a number of pieces of equipment that we still use today.

Then we made our way to the entrance to the public rooms of the palace.  Seriously, there was so much gold and ornamentation that it hurt the eyes.   There was decoration on the walls, the ceilings, the chairs, the tables, the candlesticks, everywhere.   And it was really hot--it wasn't just me because Carleana was commenting about the heat.   As we wandered through the palace we saw the throne room, the waiting room, the antechamber, and the dining room (the table must seat at least 100 people).   Unfortunately, the table wasn't set.

We went through the Royal Chapel, which was very ostentatious and ornate!   Then to another little room with 3 violins (1706, 1709, and 1696) and a violoncello from 1700 which were all made by Antonio Stradivari.  It was really cool to think that I was in a room with 4 instruments made by one of the most renown violin markers in the world.

We completed the tour in under the 45 minutes (the online review I read said that it would take 45 minutes) because it was so .... hot!!!!!!   It wasn't any cooler outside!   It was 37 degrees in the shade and at least there it was breezy.   So we finished the tour with a walk along the other side of the plaza de la Armeria.   There was a balcony where you could take some cool pictures of the city of Madrid.  We left the palace and headed toward the cathedral and when we saw that we had to pay 6€ to get in; we bailed.

Then we walked back through the side of plaza de Oriente where I think there were statues of the various kings of Spain.  It is a lovely green space with plenty of placed to sit and people watch.   As I walked along there were Chinese people constantly asking if I wanted a massage and who weren't taking no for an answer until I just walked away!!!

We headed back to the hotel because we wanted to confirm our flight.   We sat in the outdoor patio of the hotel and I had a cappuccino and water while Carleana had a ginger ale and mineral water.   They brought out a few nibblies and I got a little chocolate with my cappuccino.   While having our drinks we googled why the symbol of Madrid was a bear eating from a strawberry tree.   It seems that both were plentiful when they founded the city of Madrid.

We finished our drinks and got on the computers and confirmed our flight.   Then we went up to the room to have a health break and I dropped off my passport and grabbed a bit more cash!  We stopped at the front desk to make sure of directions to plaza Mayor and how to get to the Reina Sofia from there.  We managed to get to plaza Mayor relatively quickly but we had to take the long was to the Reina Sofia because it was the easiest.

So we walked into plaza Mayor and it was practically empty.  But it was way cool because the buildings were really interesting, all of them had such lovely balconies.   There was one building with painted murals in the outside and it was where they has one of the tourist information offices.   The neat thing was that all the lampposts had locks on them that people must of left behind.

We made our way to Puerta del Sol and popped into a few shops along the way.   We took carrera San Jeromino to plaza de Neptuno (by the way this is where the Westin hotel is that we had looked at but ruled out because it was too expensive) and then turned left and walked through Paseo del Prado because I figured it would be cooler.   It was really nice walking among the trees and the statues and fountains.   But at one point the path just stopped and we were enclosed by iron fences.   So we climbed over them to cross the street.   The iron fences were a little too high and we ended up walking a little bowlegged for a while.

Shortly afterwards we saw our second McDonald's of the day and we went in for lunch.  It was after 3 pm and the place was packed!!!!!!!   We ate our meal and then crossed the street outside of McDonalds.  Before we knew it we were at the Reina Sofia.  It's in a square without any shade but it was a nice building with two glass elevators.  We paid our 6€ and went in.

Fortunately they had a floor map and we went right to the exhibit we wanted to see.   I really enjoyed the cubists and surrealists works and saw more works by artists I had liked at the Thyssen.   It was really neat to see more if Juan Gris, Joan Miro, Picasso, and Fernand Leger's works.   I also found some new artists: Marius de Zayas, Albert Gleizes, Sonia Delauney, Julio Gonzales, and Roberto Matta that I really liked.  The other thing I liked was the variety of art represented: lithographs, journals, sketchbooks, collages, videos, sketches, bronzes, marble scultptures and photographs.   My favorite works were by cubists and surrealists.  I saw Picasso's Guernica but in really didn't like it and it was black and white when I thought it was in colour.  We went down to the gift shop and I got postcards of some of the pieces I liked.  I also found a ceramic box with Don Quixote by Picasso which I absolutely adore.

We left the Reina Sofia having only see a bit because we were footsore and wanted to get our shopping finished.   I still hadn't purchased my shawl.   The shop where they had them was an authentic store which sold shawls, mantillas and what looked to be other flamenco paraphernalia.   It was closed when we went by yesterday but I noticed that it would be open this afternoon.  So we walked back toward Puerta del Sol.  We went into the shop and I asked to see a red shawl.  The one she brought out was absolutely gorgeous and the embroidery was all done by hand on silk.   When I asked the price--it was 300€!  I said that I was looking to spend no more than 100€ and she brought out some others and I picked a cream one with blue flowers for 90€.  She wrapped it up for me and Carleana and I went off to finish the rest of our shopping.

We walked up to Gran Via and then toward plaza de Calloa.   We stopped to get a frozen yogurt and headed to the room to rest and cool down.  We got back after 6 pm and had been walking for almost 8 hours in the blustering heat, I may even have a slight sunburn even though I wore sunscreen!  So between 6 and 9 I worked on my blog and made notes for my journal.  I also finished my yogurt and soaked my poor feet. We decided that we would eat at the hotel.

So shortly before 9 we changed into dresses and headed down.   We each had a glass of wine and shared the goose pate.   Then I had fettuccine with Alfredo sauce which was fantastic and I finished with creme caramel and a cappuccino.  Carleana toasted my wedding anniversary.   Yes, I am like 4000 km away from my husband on our 18th wedding anniversary but we will celebrate once I get home.  I came back to the room, packed, finished my blog and chilled until I could unwind enough to fall a asleep.

This has been an amazing experience.  I have enjoyed so many new experiences and learned so much about myself.   The icing in the cake was that I shared this with my very dear friend Carleana. Furthermore, none of this would have been possible if not for the support of my husband and my boys.  I love you and can't wait to see you.   Good night from Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment