Saturday, July 21, 2012

Camino Day 8 Rua to Lavacolla

Please be aware that I am writing this on my iPhone and any spelling errors are as a result of the the platform being used not necessarily of the operator.

Today was our second last day of walking and it became a day for reflection and celebration.   I spent a lot of time thinking and a lot of time walking with Carleana and talking.  Last night I was out cold by about 9 pm and slept like a log.
We did our usual stuff and had a very inadequate breakfast before we headed out.  We made sure to confirm which way to go before we left the hotel.   We walked along the main road of the town until we found the forest track where it was nice and cool.  There were not a lot of pilgrims walking so it was quiet and the woods were cool and peaceful.

Today the walk was much more relaxing, maybe because I knew that I would be walking half the distance that we had walked yesterday.   When we reached Aminal we stopped for a health break and a supplement to breakfast.   I had a cafe con leche and a slice of torta de Santiago (I will be bringing some home).   While we were having our second breakfast (here I was feeling like a hobbit), we met up with our Irish gentleman, the German couple and we met a brother and sister who had walked the whole Camino.   They started June 16 in St Jean.
We took up our walk again and the path became really steep for a while but it was a lovely wooded area that was shady and cool.  In case you haven't realized it--the weather was really warm with temperatures in the high 20s and low 30s with some humidity, so it was really nice to walk in the shade and to have a breeze (which was a constant companion and a great pick me up).

As we walked along the forest path we realize that the path has gone up all around us and that you are walking in an open tunnel with giant rocks that are covered in moss and vines, above are the roots of trees and further up are the trees themselves.    It almost seems that earth has embraced you in its arms and is providing you with safe passage.  So I was walking a path with the sides going up 10 to 15 feet on either side.  This was by no means the first time it happened, in fact there were several sections where you seemed to be cocooned from the outside world by the earth.
Walking the track between Aminal and Lavacolla I had to step off of it to take a picture if an intriguing view.   There was a patch without any vegetation at all and in the distance green meadows and hills.  It may well be part of the construction that we passed yesterday.  It was just so out of place from the surrounding area.
At the next cafe we stopped for ice cream and some water.  Today I had a really yummy ice cream which was vanilla covered with white chocolate and almonds.   It made me think of the chocolate we get at the duty free in Sarnia and I had to think of my boys.   The ice cream was cool and refreshing.

Still heading toward Lavacolla, we passed by a stone grotto where there was a small waterfall about 3 feet high running over some rocks.   There were people who had stopped to have a picnic (we thought to wash their feet ).   There is the tradition of the Camino that pilgrims would stop at Lavacolla to wash their hands and necks before continuing into Santiago.   A little further on we came to a stone carving with a huge shell, walking stick, gourd and the word Santiago.   We asked a couple if guys who were standing there if they would take our picture.   Not long after we found the turn for our hotel (4 star tonight).

We had a quiet room with air conditioning and a nice big bathroom.   We got settled, cleaned up and then went for lunch.  We went into the dining room and it was much fancier then we have been used to.  For starters, I could barely make out the menu.   We got English ones and started to look it over. Then the head waiter took our drink order and I has a glass of white wine and a mineral water.   We could not decide so we asked him to bring us something typical.  And then I ordered an Italian salad. Our meal started with this huge chunk of bread and some of the soft cheese of region.   When our surprise came it was deep fried anchovies with the heads on and these tiny green peppers that had also been fried.  I enjoyed both.   Then my salad came and I really enjoyed that along with a second glass if wine.   By the time I finished I was feeling no pain--in fact I wasn't feeling neither my sore feet nor my sore back.   For dessert I had a baked Alaska.  It was the best meal I had eaten so far on this trip.

Carleana went for a nap and I went out to an area under the trees where they had set up some tables to work on my journal and zentangles.  Then I went back to the room for a while and at around 8:30 we had dinner.  I had the creme vichyssoise, the chef's salad and strawberry ice cream-- it was all good!

Then I gave my feet a good soak and a rub and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment