Thursday, July 19, 2012

Camino Day 5 Palas de Rei to Melide

Please be aware that I am writing this on my iPhone and any spelling errors are as a result of the the platform being used not necessarily of the operator.

Today we had a very disappointing start to our day.   After we get dressed and packed our last little bits into the suitcases we drop off our bags and went for breakfast.   Every other place we had a little breakfast buffet with different thing like pastries, bread, cheese, salami, fruit as well as juice, coffee and yogurt.   Not today we were given a croissant and juice.   Then I asked for coffee and they brought a huge carafe with another carafe of hot milk.   After our breakfast, we grabbed our backpacks and sticks and off we went.

As we walked all I could think of was our first day in Sarria.  Like that day, it took us quite a while to get across Palas de Rei and back onto the peacefulness of the Camino. We walked into a small hamlet and into a wooded area in an inverted C-- up a dirt track across some stones and back onto the dirt track until it turned downhill meeting with the highway.  Most of our walk today was through some pretty and cool landscape filled with trees, ferns and stone walls.  We crossed the highway many times over the course of the day.
The steep dirt track finally reached its summit and I started going down.  It was at this point that I lost Carleana to the photographer's calling.   Besides I was getting hungry and needed a health break.   So I reached San Xulian de Camino where there was a small pensione and bar.  I waited for Carleana, after what seemed like a long while I started to worry and as I was debating whether or not to head back and look for her she rounded the corner.  We went inside and ordered a bocadillo de queso each and I had a cappuccino.  The bocadillo was the dense bread we've been eating with olive oil on the bread and goat cheese. I took off the top and ate the bottom with the cheese.   I also had a cafe con leche.  Another trip to the wc and we were good to go.

From San Xulian we made our way to Casanova through a dense forest track with massive rock outcroppings.   While we walked we met up with the German couple from Sarria and stopped for a chat.   There are a number of people that we keep running into every day and who we chat with about how it's going.  When we met up with them they were taking pictures and Carleana offered to take one of both of them.   They then took one of us.  We walked together for a bit and stopped along the way to stamp our passports.   They had actually started their camino in St. Jean but they took a car until they reached Sarria and from there walked.

It was quite a steep climb up and eventually we reached the hamlet of Leboreiro.   There was a lovely medieval church which we went inside and I lit a candle for a continuation of good weather for our Camino.  Then began the long stretch between Disicabo and Melide (7.5km).  It had all types of roads--paved, dirt , stone and hills up and down and all around through forests and along the highways.  It was a long trek and my feet were burning and overheated.   Just when I thought I was done for and I was ready to call a cab we'd enter into a cool shady forest track and I would revive.   Today we saw horses grazing in the woods.
Just as I was getting desperate for a health break, we saw a bar along the way.  We stopped for some cokes and a health break.  If I hadn't had to go so very badly I would just have left.   I did what I had too as quickly as possible and touched as little as possible!!!!!   In case you don't know it I am a girly girl and don't do the outdoors very well.  This washroom was like something out of a nightmare and it is best forgotten.
Onward and upward as we climbed another hill, turned a corner and finally found our hotel.   We were pleasantly surprised that the guy behind the counter spoke fluent British English.  He had grown up in London.   We got to our room, freshened up and chilled for a bit before going to get something to eat-it was now almost 3 pm.

We had a lovely lunch; I had a salad with lettuce, tomato and olives and a grill half chicken breast and thigh with fries and a creme caramel.  It was great and not slathered in salt.   After lunch I worked on my journal and zentangle until about 6:30 when we headed into town where we got our usual supplies and I bought an apple to have for the road.
On the way into Melide we stopped to take a picture of the oldest crucifix on the Camino and the lovely little church beside it (which was closed).   I bought a really pretty scarf because I found that my neck was cold during the early part of the day.   I figured I could have it around my neck during the morning and then use it as a headband later.   We were told to try the pastries for which the town is named melisandres-they tasted like a chou pastry without the creme fraiche!   Yuck!!!!!

We went back to the hotel and neither of us was hungry.  Later I ate my apple and a granola bar which was exactly what I needed.  I got my bag packed and went to sleep.   Today was 16.3 km and it took us 7 hours, I used my newly created Camino playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment