Saturday, July 21, 2012

Finisterra

Please be aware that I am writing this on my iPhone and any spelling errors are as a result of the the platform being used not necessarily of the operator.

So we were up early to get to the bus station.  We arranged to leave our suitcases at the hotel since we were going back there anyway.  We just took some overnight stuff and our purses.  We arrived and got our tickets then got directions for where to catch the bus.  

Carleana was first in line and that was a good thing because she was able to get us good seats.   I was a bit further back and was getting squashed as I boarded the bus.  Sitting beside us was a father and son from Holland, the mom was sitting behind us.   They had walked from Pamplona and were going to Fisterra and walking back to Santiago. 

The bus ride was like many if our taxi rides--it was a wonder we didn't end up over the side of a cliff or cars and the sides if buildings weren't being mangled.   It was a workout for your core and your arms and legs as it whipped around corners.   When you could actually look out the window there were many lively sights many winking in and out through the fog.  I took a shirt video to share when I get home.

As the bus passed by sleepy fishing villages the ocean seemed to be kissing the very cliffs below. Many times I saw fishermen out in boats casting their nets or using poles; they were usually standing up in their boats.  A couple of places along the way I saw stores displaying beach paraphernalia--balls, tubes, boogie boards, etc.   It reminded me of the many beachside towns I saw along the Adriatic coast of Italy or the shops at Turkey Point.

The rocks that were on the opposite side of the ocean vistas reminded me if the Canadian shield in northern Ontario.  It was a very similar landscape: with the pine trees and similar scrub.  It made me think of all those drives up to Sudbury when I was in university.  There were several places where huge. container ships were loading wood for transport elsewhere.   There were enormous cranes and other pieces if equipment for working with these ships.

We got to Fisterra and looked around and bought a couple of souvenirs.   Then we had an ice cream and decided to come to the hotel because this was what we wanted to see: the lighthouse and the cape.   We discovered that our hotel was where the lighthouse was as well as the cape.  We took a taxi up through the fog, catching tantalizing glimpses of the water and the cliffs.   We arrived in the fog barely able to make out the steps that would lead to our hotel room.   The breeze was chilly and felt so good after the heat and humidity if the last several days.

Our room wasn't ready and I left my bag while we looked around.   We walked over to the lighthouse (a mere 10 meters away) and looked around.  Then we walked back down the quay and stopped to take pictures of each other at the 0.0 km marker.  Wandering further down there were vendors set up selling all sorts of souvenirs.   There is a cross overlooking the one side and while taking a picture an Italian family showed up so I offered to take a picture of everyone, and we struck up a conversation. So I now have used all of my languages this trip.

We got some churrors with sugar and made our way to our room.   We are on the 1st floor (2nd floor in Canada) and there are 3 windows 1 facing the light house, 1 facing the mountain and I facing the sea.   We opened all the windows and there is a lively and fresh breeze.   Our room has a name, it's called sotovento (under the winds)--how amazing is that!!!!!

We got settled then got a bite to eat but it was starting to get colder and the fog was getting heavier.   So we went inside and I sat on the bed and did some blogging.  After a while I moved to a little sitting area on this floor where Carleana was working on her blog.    It wasn't as comfortable so I moved back to our room.  When I noticed that the fog was lifting, I got Carleana and we rushed out to take pictures.  The views were even more amazing and my pictures are so awe inspiring.  I took so many.
I divided my time between walking outside and catching up on blogging.   Before I knew it it was 9 pm so we thought we should get downstairs for dinner.   We sat by a window looking out at the mountain and you could hear the rain falling outside.   It was foggy in the distance.

My meal was delicious.  It started with these croquettes and seafood mixture.  Then I had razor clams and pork loin with fresh crispy potatoes and pedron peppers.   I had a glass of white wine and some mineral water sin gas.   For dessert I had torta de manzana and I finished the meal with a cafe con leche.   The whole meal was mouthwatering, perfectly seasoned and totally worth 20€.

When we came upstairs the lighthouse was on and it was shining its light into our room.   After midnight it was so quite that all you could hear was the wind blowing across the cape and the waves crashing down below the cliff.  I wish I had the words to describe the peace and tranquility I feel just by sitting on the bed and listening to the sounds of the wind and the waves!  It is almost as if they are having a conversation and I am privileged enough to be able to listen.   I feel calm and rested.  I breathe the air that smells fresh and clean with a ting of salt and as it makes it's way into my body it revitalizes my soul.

Good night and sleep well, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment